[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3737 days of uptime

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:50:39 UTC 2013

I had to reboot after about 200 days of uptime the other day because I
updated netatalk, which created a new BE. I don't really understand why a
non-kernel package, for a non-essential service, would need a new BE.

Is there a way to avoid this kind of thing so in the future I can brag
about uptime?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Jason Matthews <jason at broken.net> wrote:

> long uptimes are not hard to achieve. i bet if i got my old sparc ipx out
> from college days and booted it the system would report about thirteen
> years if uptime. i think i last used it in the summer of 2000.
>
> i "shut it down" last time by putting it to sleep.  when it boots,
> assuming battery is good shape, it should have all that elapsed time as
> uptime.
>
> but you right, i didnt apply any patches. something tells me its as secure
> as the day i packed it away :)
>
> j.
>
> Sent from Jasons' hand held
>
> On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:55 AM, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/20/2013 12:32 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> >> It would only bring a tear to my eye, because of how foolishly
> >> irresponsible that is.  3737 days of uptime means 10 years of
> >> never applying security patches and bugfixes.  Whenever people
> >> are proud of a really long uptime, it's a sign of a bad sysadmin.
> >
> > 1) Reboot is only required when applying kernel patches or big
> >   clusters which affect core services (and the admin is using BEs).
> >
> > 2) Not all machines are web-facing and thus don't necessarily need
> >   regular security patching.
> >
> > 3) If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
> >
> > Not everybody can afford the luxury of periodic maintenance downtime and
> > certain systems are required to be 100% available, though I will admit
> > that these are few and far between (and in most cases a good hot-spare
> > policy will take care of this).
> >
> > --
> > Saso

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me