[OpenIndiana-discuss] Xvnc in a zone

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sat Mar 23 10:23:34 UTC 2013

Is there some simple way to get Xvnc working from within a non-global zone??

I e I'd like to sit logged in to the global zone as always, and be able
to run a vnc session to an ngz in a window. It can be a very small
desktop, what I'm after is the visual feedback of "You're in a twisty
little non-global zone" afforded by the x desktop inside a fairly large
window.

Being able to start a gnome session in the ngz from a laptop might also
be neat.

First attempt (to just copy the working Xvnc installation from a
separate server's GZ) failed with references to dbus.

I suppose one could run a ssh -X zone xterm (or other client), but I
just wanted to try the full X thing.

Things I find on the internet and particularly Oracle blogs are a wee
bit unclear, probably leaving out some crucial package that people
working at Oracle always install w/o thinking. They do seem to say that
it can be done.

Things are complicated a bit by the server with the NGZ's I'm running
also being a SunRay server for 3-4 clients.