[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF retries count

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 26 13:26:51 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-26 14:09, Michael Stapleton wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Your SMF method is likely running asadmin.
>
> Have you tried using the asadmin command directly to stop the domain?
> It sounds like it could be the default 60 second socket timeout when
> asadmin attempts to contact glassfish.
> Network issues? Glassfish already down?

Yes, the default SMF integration of glassfish invokes asadmin with
such actions as start-domain and stop-domain. I do want to have it
managed by SMF since that's catered for, and these actions to seem
to include a timeout (60s for stop, 600s for start), both of which
are exceeded in this instance; I am looking into GlassFish code now
to see if these two timeouts are hard-coded or configurable (aren't
according to the docs).

 From what I gather, when these 60 or 600 seconds elapse, the admin
CLI verifies the server state. If it was stopping but still runs,
or if it was starting but still doesn't accept connections, the
asadmin program (a java class, ultimately) returns a non-zero exit
code. Thus the SMF method fails (despite configured lack of SMF's
own timeouts), even though the server happily starts or stops a
few minutes past the existing asadmin timeout.

I am inclined to think this is poor programming on glassfish side,
but wonder what I can do to properly host and manage the appserver
via SMF.

PS: If I use asadmin directly, i.e. to restart the appserver, while
SMF is also enabled, the death of a java process causes SMF to start
it up again - and my manual invokation of restart also starts it.
So the two java processes competing for same ports come into conflict.

//Jim