[OpenIndiana-discuss] Xvnc on a SunRay server machine, got it working at last!

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Mar 26 20:33:53 UTC 2013

For the longest time I've had Xvnc working perfectly as login facilities
on a couple of mail+data servers, while I just couldn't get it to work
on my SunRay Server machine... I just couldn't see what it was: I
finally managed to get some logs and after a day actually managed to
grep for the proper things, and as with everything well designed but
less than perfectly documented, it was a simple thing.

It turns out that Xvnc wants the permissions on the directories
/tmp/.X11-{pipe,unix} to be 0777 and on /var/run/xkb to be 0775.

SRSS installation sets them all more restrictively.

Opening them up just enough cleared away all my problems.

This isn't a security issue, if it had been I would have had to fiddle
around with ACLs and stuff, I THINK.

In my environment, everything is behind impervious firewalls and anyone
doing any damage will also be the person hurting from the damage. So
this is fine.

I'll write something in the wiki, if I may. Just to put it on spinning rust.

P.S. I REALLY think I only needed to open up /var/run/xkb. I'll test
some more later.