[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone using OpenIndiana in production?

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Wed Mar 27 07:07:09 UTC 2013

> Would anyone be so kind as to share their experiences using
> OpenIndiana in production?

The platform is generally stable but there are some gotchas in my
application:

- I have lost entire zones when migrating from 151a1 to 151a7.
- There is no unencumbered bmc driver
- Support for disk fault light identification in disk shelves is limited to
a handful of devices so you are responsible for finding a work around. Work
arounds are available.
- USB disk support is shaky on active drives - solaris 11 probably isn't any
better
- active web servers need work arounds to avoid DCE cache from consuming all
system memory
- I have never gotten VRRP on zones with exclusive interfaces to work
despite some suggesions that it could work with some sort of work around.
VRRP on the host OS works as expected.
- some bug can make systems/zones slow to login via ssh. I only experience
this on zones. A few zones have the issue all the time. Others are
intermittent. All the zones are configured the same in terms of dns. I use
zlogin in a pinch.  https://www.illumos.org/issues/1983
- device driver support is limited. Specifying equipment can be painful for
the uninitiated.

That said, I probably use more "enterprise" features at scale than most, but
certainly not all.
- LACP, VNICs, VLAN trunking, jumbo frames
- zones, extensive use snapshots, zone migration
- NFS
- iSCSI
- ZFS - mirrors, 3-way mirrors, raidz, L2ARC, ZIL, clones
- SAS disk enclosures with lots of disks

It all just works - at scale. The platform does more than a billion inserts
to Postgres databases per day and it runs like clock work.

My web tier process processes about half million packets per second and
aside from some initial (painful) tuning, it just works.

I don't use virtual box in my production environment.

Does this help?