[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone using OpenIndiana in production?

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 27 12:27:48 UTC 2013

> From: Gerry Weaver [mailto:gerryw at compvia.com]
>
> I have been checking out OpenIndiana as a possible file server and KVM host.

I have several sites using OI for samba, dns, and VirtualBox.  As far as stability is concerned, yes it's stable.  But it's not amazingly mature (see below).

Others have said that some of the packages are sort of not greatly maintained, and lack configuration.  I needed to configure bind and samba from scratch by hand, which was a huge pain.  I actually built some linux VM's just to get their default config files and copy them over to OI and destroy the linux guests.  I would like to run dhcp from OI, rather than running it from a linux guest.  But I never got dhcp working on OI, so I still have the linux dhcp guests just for this purpose.

I recommend the latest 4.1.x version of VirtualBox, which was super awesome and stable.  Unfortunately I updated to 4.2.x, and it's still very buggy.