[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone using OpenIndiana in production?

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Wed Mar 27 13:49:23 UTC 2013

My systems are extremely stable but the load is low.  Web server serving
perl/mysql based databases for pretty active sites, flawless since the
day I converted from solaris 10 to OI (139 days up at the moment), that
is an old Sun x2200m2.  A sunray server running on a Sun v40z, 4x2.8ghz
dual-core opterons and 32gb ram, which is also a failover for the
webserver and runs nightly backups which are spread around to all
three.  Again flawless, up 124 days.  My file server is an old Sun
Ultra20m2 with 8gb ram, a 3.2 ghz AMD (not the original chip), with 2tb
of ZFS mirrored space in it, and a high end gamer video card from maybe
2 years ago.  That is also my desktop which I do coding, word
processing, email, Pandora, videos, music player, etc. etc. etc.
Flawless, up 168 days.  Oh and the occasional game of Urban Terror.

I lock em all down pretty tight.  The only outside facing machine is the
webserver and I have scripts monitoring the 3 ports open for bad
people.  As soon as it sees something it doesn't like the IP is locked
out entirely (ipfilter).

I only bring em down to update to the latest OI release.  Which was
probably 168 days ago (I always test them on my desktop first).

On 03/27/13 08:27 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Gerry Weaver [mailto:gerryw at compvia.com]
>>
>> I have been checking out OpenIndiana as a possible file server and KVM host.
> I have several sites using OI for samba, dns, and VirtualBox.  As far as stability is concerned, yes it's stable.  But it's not amazingly mature (see below).
>
> Others have said that some of the packages are sort of not greatly maintained, and lack configuration.  I needed to configure bind and samba from scratch by hand, which was a huge pain.  I actually built some linux VM's just to get their default config files and copy them over to OI and destroy the linux guests.  I would like to run dhcp from OI, rather than running it from a linux guest.  But I never got dhcp working on OI, so I still have the linux dhcp guests just for this purpose.
>
> I recommend the latest 4.1.x version of VirtualBox, which was super awesome and stable.  Unfortunately I updated to 4.2.x, and it's still very buggy.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson