[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sonicle XStreamOS repo and XStream Desktop in progress

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sat May 18 14:34:13 UTC 2013

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz writes:
> Illumos isn't like Linux. Linux already has a very large user base,
> while Illumos have a very small user base. For Linux, it's not a
> real problem having some number of different distributions. About
> Illumus, maybe it should be better to add common efforts to increase
> the user base before each company having it's own distro.
>
> At our organisation, I'd like to use a distribution coming or from
> some community (as debian or openindiana) or coming from some quite
> solid organisation (as Fedora come from RedHat).
>
> IMHO, it could be better if people from these many different
> distributions could work together to create a distribution people
> could really believe in its medium/long term future.

You are completely correct.  I fully agree.

I wish Gabriele had spent all this work on OpenIndiana, maybe offering
a light weight WM and whatever else Sonicle needs als an extra package.
I wish Martin had done his absolutely amazing work in a more cooperative
and open fashion.

The problem here is that too many people want to many different things.
So far, nobody is willing to give in and agree to a common denominator.

Fortunately, at least Illumos is still the basis of all these
distributions, and it is a very solid one.

Best regards -- Volker A. Brandt
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"