[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sonicle XStreamOS repo and XStream Desktop in progress

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz jose.marcio.mc at gmail.com
Sat May 18 11:59:29 UTC 2013

On 05/17/2013 02:53 PM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> The reason why Sonicle decided to run their own distro, is because we need a self mantained one
> as a base for our customers solutions.

IMHO, there is a problem with this approach.

This is just my user point of view. A sysadmin from a small/medium size organisation.

Illumos isn't like Linux. Linux already has a very large user base, while Illumos have a very small
user base. For Linux, it's not a real problem having some number of different distributions. About
Illumus, maybe it should be better to add common efforts to increase the user base before each
company having it's own distro.

At our organisation, I'd like to use a distribution coming or from some community (as debian or
openindiana) or coming from some quite solid organisation (as Fedora come from RedHat).

IMHO, it could be better if people from these many different distributions could work together to
create a distribution people could really believe in its medium/long term future.

I don't think we could rely our critical servers on any of these distributions, for the moment.

But I surely may be wrong.

> Also, note that also Alasdair mentioned about the difficulty of mantaining OI.
> Actually OI is way too complicated, too many different build systems for different components.
> What we need is an easier and more unified way of building the distro.
> This is one reason why we're building the Desktop components the same way of userland system.
> We will probably try to move also X11 into userland, as having different build systems is hard to mantain.
> Gabriele.
> Da:
> Maxim Kondratovich
> A:
> Gabriele Bulfon
> Cc:
> Discussion list for OpenIndiana
> Data:
> 16 maggio 2013 7.07.10 CET
> Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Sonicle XStreamOS repo and XStream Desktop in progress
> I'm not an active developer now,      but I started one task and I move forward but very slow because      of  insufficient time. I will have more time soon, I hope.
> My point of view that if everyone will try to do his own distro we      will have nothing. OI is a good distro and a lot of work was done.      I don't see any reason why we have to kill OI and start distro      from scratch. It's a big mistake.
> If XStreanOS is based on a illumos why they are going to create      their own Destop?! What is the difference from OI?! Yeah I know      they have their own view at some technical features, but XStream      Desktop will be not a commercial product (I think so) what is the      goal?! Why just not to collaborate with existing community and      continue work under OI. If they want they can just re brand final      product... It's more easy than to do everything from scratch.
> P.S. I respect Sonicle for the try to do the Desktop for the      community. But I think that to much companies (people) have their      own vision at Desktop and nobody want's just to join to existing      project and just do the work together.
> - Maxim
 l.Tel +39
028246016 Int. 30 - Fax +39 028243880via Santa Maria Valle 3 - 20123 - Milano - Italy
> http://www.sonicle.com
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Da:
> finid at linuxbsdos.com
> A: Discussion list for OpenIndianaData: 15 maggio 2013 16.21.29 CETOggetto: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Sonicle XStreamOS repo and XStreamDesktop in progressHere's a suggestion to OI devs. How about getting together withSonicleto explore the possibility of merging OI and XStreamOS server anddesktop?I think it will be better for the community and for everybody and itwill bring more talent and resources to focus on a distributioninsteadof spreading it out to two different distros.What do you guys think?--finidOn 2013-05-15 12:52,
> finid at linuxbsdos.com
> wrote:Gabriele,A company-sponsored illumos desktop distribution is very welcome.Here are a few suggestions:1. A graphical installer will make it a hit for new users. Usersexpect one on a modern desktop distribution. If you don't have a guiinstaller yet, check out PC-BSD's graphical installer.    Might beeasier to port it than code one from scratch.2. Let's shoot for complete out of the box "it just works." Thatmeans, I install it and start being productive without having to messwith configuration files and other manual configuration that shouldwork by default. Think about those who do not want to learn how the OSworks before they can send email or interface with their friends onsocial networks.3. Excellent default physical and network security posture of the box.4. Graphical tools that makes it easy for new users to make use ofZFS' excellent features.5. On the app side, being able to choose between OpenOffice andLibeOffice is a good option, especially since their will be s!
 omefeature
 differences. This is minor, but you might want to not botherabout pdf readers. Firefox comes with a built-in PDF reader, which hasrendered a standalone PDF reader obsolete.6. LXDE sounds good for a desktop environment, but have youconsidered Cinnamon? It's one of the most popular ones we have aroundand because it's built atop GNOME 3 technologies, it's not veryresource intensive.That should get us started.Looking forward to the first public release, but if "outsiders" totake a look at it before it hits the download mirrors, I'll be morethan happy to take it for a spin.Thanks,--finid
> http://LinuxBSDos.com
> On 2013-05-15 09:28, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:Hi everyone,at Sonicle we've almost finished rebuilding a brand new IPS repo withupdated packages fromlatest illumos kernel, updated userland components, X11 1.13.1,updated pkg commands.We wanted to rebuild everything from available sources, to remove anypossible dependencyfrom old packages derived from OI.This repo will be available soon on our publicpkg.sonicle.com/xstreamos publisher, then a pkg updatewill do the job over any previous XStreamOS installation.Then, I'd like to announce that we're also working on a Desktopversion of XStreamOS.We've chosen, first, do deliver the LXDE desktop as a lightweightfrontend.So we have already packaged all the gnome and other dependencies inour userland.The desktop already works, and is nice.To make it usable, we're packaging all the typical application onemay need on a fresh install(file manager, text editor, calculator, terminal, and so on).We've also already packaged both Firefox 20.0.1 !
 and Thunde
rbird17.0.5, and they work great on illumos.We have plan to pre-package open-office or libre-office, pdf readers,media apps and so on.We would like your suggestions for what you would expect to have on aDesktop distro of XStreamOS.Thanks!Gabriele Bulfon.Gabriele Bulfon - Sonicle S.r.l.Tel +39 028246016 Int. 30 - Fax +39 028243880via Santa Maria Valle 3 - 20123 - Milano - Italy