[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS Server Will Not Enable

John McQuay john at johnmcquay.co.uk
Mon May 20 14:00:09 UTC 2013

Hi All
I have been attempting to get CIFS up and running on my OI 151a7 Mcahine with no luck.
Interestingly, I'm using the same script as I did in the past (at lease I think I am).
rem_drv smbsrv
pkg install SUNWsmbskr
pkg install SUNWsmbs
svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/network/smb/server.xml
svcadm enable -r smb/server
svcadm restart smb/server
svcs -d smb/server
svcs -l smb/server
zfs set sharesmb=name=data data
The place where it all goes foul is third line, I get this message: svccfg: Unable to stat file /var/svc/manifest/network/smb/server.xml. No such file or directory.
As the packages are installed, I have effectively been starting on the third line.
When attempting to set the share (zfs set sharesmb=name=data data) I get the message; SMB: Unable to enable service
If entering the command svcs -l smb/server the state is always at maintenance
I'm pretty sure I'm making a newbie error, but what I've done wrong or missed beats me.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards, John.