[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware recommendations for OI desktop system

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon May 20 19:20:29 UTC 2013

All-

The tl;dr version:

Can anyone tell me whether either of these systems would work (functioning
storage controller, video, and audio) with OI:

Intel DX79SR:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dx79sr.html

Dell Precison T3600:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3600/pd?refid=precision-t3600&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

I'm new to the mailing list and haven't used OI before, but I have a long
history with closed-source Solaris.  I've used Solaris on the desktop for
quite a few years, previously on a Sun W2100z and currently on an
Intel DX48BT2-based system.

It's time for this system to be replaced and I'm looking for hardware
recommendations for *current* hardware that I could use to run OI as
a desktop system.  Obviously since it's a desktop system, I want both
video and audio to have functioning drivers.  With the Solaris 10u8
system I'm currently running, I have an Nvidia Quadro NVS 1700 (?)
and the onboard Intel HD audio (via OSS 4.x).  Both work well.  It
would be a bonus if USB would work, but definitely not required (USB
with Solaris 10u8 on the DX48BT2 doesn't work and it hasn't really been
an issue).

Yes, I've looked at both Oracle 11's HCL and the OI wiki HCL.  The OI HCL
is primarily laptop focused, and what desktop systems are there are
older-generation systems.  I'm looking for recommendations on a
motherboard or system that's a current product.

I have 15+ years experience managing UNIX systems and the skills to build
most of the userland tools I want on a desktop system, as long as the
driver-level stuff is working.

The university I work at has purchase agreements in place with Dell, HP,
and a local white-box builder that uses Intel motherboards.  That limits
my choices to one of those.

Beyond just the mobo, what are recommendations for a current graphics
card that will work well with OI?  I'm assuming one of the Nvidia Quadro
cards, but which one?

Any input people can provide will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim