[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware recommendations for OI desktop system

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon May 20 22:39:59 UTC 2013

On 21/05/2013 00:29, Tim Mooney wrote:

> On 20/05/2013 21:20, Tim Mooney wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me whether either of these systems would work (functioning
>> storage controller, video, and audio) with OI:
>> Dell Precison T3600:
>> #See my post from January, works partly, but it's not trivial:
>> <http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2013-January/011229.html>
>
> Thanks Udo, that's fantastic information!  I spent quite a bit of time
> going back through the archives before my post, I don't know how
> I missed your post.
>
> You don't mention audio or video in that thread.  What video card did you
> purchase with the T3600, and how well does it work in 151a7?  Also, does
> the on-board audio work?

We use NVIDIA Quadro 2000 cards, and the audio usually goes
through that card via HDMI or DisplayPort to the monitor speakers.
Be sure that /dev/audio{0,1}, /dev/dsp{0,1} etc. are consistently
linked, we had some trouble when installing a clone image from
another machine, swapping pci devices for some of the links...