[OpenIndiana-discuss] replacing an open solaris box

Kristoff Bonne kristoff at skypro.be
Fri May 24 09:27:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

I found here an old machine now running opensolaris 2008.11. For obvious
reasons, I want to "upgrade" it, if possible with an OS of the "solaris"
family.

What Operating System would you now advice for a personal workstation
for "simple" work (telnet/ssh to other devices, perl, firefox,
thunderbird, ...). Also important is the ability to run VirtualBox.

On wikipedia I found a lot of information on illuminos and distributions
on top of it, so I am a bit confused on what OS to use now.
What OSses are now still activily supported?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.