[OpenIndiana-discuss] Email cron job results

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue May 28 13:34:24 UTC 2013

On 05/24/13 23:59, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> On May 24, 2013, at 6:35 AM, James Carlson wrote:
>
>> Do you have /etc/aliases entries to redirect mail?  If not, I strongly
>> recommend putting at least the standard sort of entries there.
>
> I am kind of wondering what you consider to be the standard sort of entries?

RFC 2142 is has a fairly good starting point:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2142.txt

I'd recommend defining at least "postmaster" and probably "abuse".

> The default /etc/mail/aliases file that OI installed in the Global zone has about twelve or so entries.  I went ahead and added one for "root: myadmin" and ran "newaliases".  But looking at the /etc/aliases file in Scientific Linux 6.4 shows almost a hundred entries - a lot of which I know are not necessary.

What's necessary depends on your particular situation.  I think that if
you're finding that mail to "fake" accounts (such as root) isn't going
where you think it ought to, and you're tempted to hack around with cron
MAILTO or $HOME/.forward, then you're likely missing some necessary entries.

> And I noticed my zones don't have /etc/alias files -- except the zone I have Postfix in.
>
> So, are the OI default (plus my root redirection) sufficient?

Dunno.  I never run with the default aliases on any system.

> And should I put them in my zones, too?

If they can receive and thus need to know how to deliver mail addressed
locally, then sure.  I'd recommend at least having some simple
redirections for the fake accounts that are likely to get mail -- root,
bin, and daemon are common ones on many systems.  Your mileage will
almost certainly vary.