[OpenIndiana-discuss] Email cron job results

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue May 28 14:35:28 UTC 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 9:37 AM, James Carlson wrote:

> On 05/25/13 02:00, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>> I would be looking in /etc/mail/
>>
>> not /etc
>
> On the systems I've seen, /etc/mail is a symlink to mail/aliases
> delivered by the 'sendmail' package.
>
> --
> James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj at workingcode.com>

I think you meant /etc/aliases is a symlink to mail/aliases.

As I recall, for some time now, sendmail no longer automatically digests /etc/aliases (aka /etc/mail/aliases) into internal form.  So assuming sendmail is being used rather than postfix, one probably needs to run newaliases (in /usr/sbin, I think) to do that.

There are other options, like a NIS aliases map; but I'll leave that to someone that's used them to expand on.