[OpenIndiana-discuss] Email cron job results

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue May 28 14:55:19 UTC 2013

On 05/28/13 10:35, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> I think you meant /etc/aliases is a symlink to mail/aliases.

Yes, I did.  Sorry for the typo.

> As I recall, for some time now, sendmail no longer automatically digests /etc/aliases (aka /etc/mail/aliases) into internal form.  So assuming sendmail is being used rather than postfix, one probably needs to run newaliases (in /usr/sbin, I think) to do that.

Indeed.

> There are other options, like a NIS aliases map; but I'll leave that to someone that's used them to expand on.

Although I like centralized administration a lot, I'd hesitate for this
service.  If (or "when") your NIS servers become unreachable, your mail
server becomes either sluggish or dead.  There are some things for which
rsync is a simpler and more reliable solution.  :-/

On the plus side, if you do that, you don't have to do "newaliases".
That command just re-builds local ndbm files, which aren't distributed
by NIS.