[OpenIndiana-discuss] samba with zfs acls and shadow copies

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed May 29 01:21:08 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 01:09 AM, Martin Walter wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 02:43:41PM +0100, Bayard G. Bell wrote:
>> Was filed as an illumos site issue, where it stayed for much of that
>> time. Generally speaking, just filing bugs and not asking for guidance
>> on what debug would be useful or providing a minimum reproducible
>> problem will tend to generate an issue that can't be progressed.
> I asked for hints. And the problem was reproducable. But I am not an
> oi-expert and nobody told me to do these or those tests. So I switched
> to samba. Now the server is in production and I can not use it for tests.
> But apparently other people have no such problem with sun-cifs.
> Or they use all samba? ;-)

samba here. I got a problem that was apparently unique to me and
something similar to the below:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/1087

Except that in my case my problem was that access was only possible via
\\ipaddr and would not work with \\shortname left alone \\fqdn. Things
were fast and all but Windows security hates \\ipaddr and in the end I
had to switch back to samba.

I did get attention from someone who took a look at snoops he asked me
to get but in the end it could not be pinned down and I was the only
case. I've forgotten who as this was in Dec 2011/Jan 2012 but it was
likely Bayard or Gordon.

The next one is about samba itself. I've helped out with building and
testing newer versions of samba with Gordon Ross when I had major issues
with 3.5.4 and 3.5.7 but in the end we still have the same faulty
versions in oi151a7 and I have since just overwritten the samba bits
with my own 3.6.13 build.

https://www.illumos.org/issues/2172

samba works and it works with kerberos. sun-cifs does not.