[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri May 31 14:44:01 UTC 2013

On 31/05/2013 13:41, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Gary Mills [mailto:gary_mills at fastmail.fm]
>>
>> SMF is actually well documented, but you do have to jump around from
>> man page to man page.  Start with `man smf'.  There are also lots of
>> examples to follow, both of manifests and methods.  They are all text
>> files.
>
> Ok, so here's a quasi-recent example of a difficulty I've encountered trying to use SMF.
> In my example above, it turned out, I was putting the exec method before the
 > dependency name, or something like that.
 > Order matters in XML, ....

XML is as simple as it can get, because it's just a *grammar*.
The hard part here is the *contents*, i.e, the SMF definitions.

>> I'd recommend using the facilities of SMF, rather than trying to do it
>> all outside of SMF.  These facilities are extensive and complete.
>
> You say SMF has capabilities that make this all go away.
 > But I read "man smf" and I don't see it there.

If you don't understand SMF (which is a bit clumsy, but indeed has
all what you want), use this little generator, it will do the hard
work for you:

<http://sgpit.com/smf/>

Hope that helps.