[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri May 31 15:24:12 UTC 2013

On 31/05/2013 16:44, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 31/05/2013 13:41, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>>> From: Gary Mills [mailto:gary_mills at fastmail.fm]
>>>
>>> SMF is actually well documented, but you do have to jump around from
>>> man page to man page.  Start with `man smf'.  There are also lots of
>>> examples to follow, both of manifests and methods.  They are all text
>>> files.
>>
>> Ok, so here's a quasi-recent example of a difficulty I've encountered trying to use SMF.
>   > ...
>> In my example above, it turned out, I was putting the exec method before the
>   > dependency name, or something like that.
>   > Order matters in XML, ....
>
> XML is as simple as it can get, because it's just a *grammar*.
> The hard part here is the *contents*, i.e, the SMF definitions.
>
>>> I'd recommend using the facilities of SMF, rather than trying to do it
>>> all outside of SMF.  These facilities are extensive and complete.
>>
>> You say SMF has capabilities that make this all go away.
>   > But I read "man smf" and I don't see it there.
>
> If you don't understand SMF (which is a bit clumsy, but indeed has
> all what you want), use this little generator, it will do the hard
> work for you:
>
> <http://sgpit.com/smf/>

And here's another one for local use:
<http://code.google.com/p/manifold/>

A description of some the possible tags:
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris/solaris-smf-manifest-wp-167902.pdf>

Oracle has svcbundle in Solaris 11.1:
<https://blogs.oracle.com/gman/entry/tt_svcbundle_tt_for_easier>