[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri May 31 17:52:01 UTC 2013

On 05/31/13 12:36, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Udo Grabowski (IMK) [mailto:udo.grabowski at kit.edu]
>>
>> If you don't understand SMF (which is a bit clumsy, but indeed has
>> all what you want), use this little generator, it will do the hard
>> work for you:
>>
>> <http://sgpit.com/smf/>
>
> That's a pretty cool generator.  But apparently, I understand SMF as well as it does.  Because it allows you to specify start & stop & refresh methods ...  But if those happen to take *time* to complete, and you start enabling/disabling/refreshing the service while the previous instances of enable/disable/refresh (start/stop/refresh) are still running, then multiple concurrent instances of those things get launched.  Which is how I got where I am now.

At least for me, when an SMF method takes time, I end up with that "*"
marker in the svcs output, and it doesn't let me to do overlapping changes.

Are your methods returning before the action they're supposed to take is
completely finished?  If so, then that sounds like the underlying
problem to me.  The methods are not supposed to exit until they're done
doing whatever it is they do.  If they do, then the design of that
service is incomplete.