[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri May 31 16:36:05 UTC 2013

> From: Udo Grabowski (IMK) [mailto:udo.grabowski at kit.edu]
>
> If you don't understand SMF (which is a bit clumsy, but indeed has
> all what you want), use this little generator, it will do the hard
> work for you:
>
> <http://sgpit.com/smf/>

That's a pretty cool generator.  But apparently, I understand SMF as well as it does.  Because it allows you to specify start & stop & refresh methods ...  But if those happen to take *time* to complete, and you start enabling/disabling/refreshing the service while the previous instances of enable/disable/refresh (start/stop/refresh) are still running, then multiple concurrent instances of those things get launched.  Which is how I got where I am now.

In any event, I went forward and implemented with "mkdir" locking.  It works, and usually will, except in the event of ungraceful things.