[OpenIndiana-discuss] i find the oi wiki lacking; is there a handbook?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Nov 8 01:28:32 UTC 2013

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] i find the oi wiki lacking; is there a...:

> I have to migrate to solaris and I'm really set in my linux ways.
>
> containers?

Very light-weight OS virtualization.

> pools?

If you combined MD + LVM + ext4 into one thing, it would be heading in the
direction of zfs.  The Linux "btrfs" is heavily influenced by zfs.

> I have no idea what any of this is, is there a handbook for solaris?
> ( is openindiana fundementally different from solaris in terms of things
> in guides for solaris working under oi? )

There's some divergence, but for the most part all of the Oracle Solaris
11 documentation is going to be very relevant, especially for core
functionality like Zones, dtrace, ZFS, IPS, etc.

Tim