[OpenIndiana-discuss] i find the oi wiki lacking; is there a handbook?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Nov 8 03:41:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-08 02:38, tyrrell t wrote:
> Also the wiki says sun studio x86 for open_indiana is not 'publicly available', but I was able to find it on the oracle site. Is it still actively maintained or is the oi community attitude generally 'default to the oracle site' ?

For historic reasons (as an ex-Sun OS) OI depends on a particular build
of the Sun Studio. Oracle no longer provides it, and those who have it
"stashed" may use it under Sun licensing - but not redistribute.

So generally illumos is trying to not depend on it; in particular, the
non-C++ parts (i.e. the illumos kernel) are compilable with GCC - also
specially tweaked versions (gcc-4.4.4-il) that are provided as part of
OpenIndiana for example.

HTH,
//Jim