[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using cfgadm to switch harddisk LEDs / 2nd try

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 14:23:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Stefan Müller-Wilken <
stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de> wrote:

> [anyone an idea why Ctrl-V sometimes directly sends mails instead of
>  pasting text in Outlook? :-P )

I think I can see your problem here...

> # cfgadm -x locator c4::w5000cca00a34873d,0
> cfgadm: Hardware specific failure: unavailable
> #
>
> Same situation with my DL380 server, so the question is: How is that
> supposed to work on the T3-1? How on other SAS controllers? Peter recently
> said that he would  successfully control the LEDs on his T3-x servers so it
> must be possible somehow...

I suspect we're talking about a slightly different question.
All I actually do, and it's very simple, is use

cfgadm -c unconfigure

which turns on the ready-to-remove LED.

The led and locator commands appear to only support a small set
of platforms. Following the hint in the manpage, where it says
"This  example  is  specific  to  the SPARC Enterprise Server family"
I can see that I can query the locator state on my M-series boxes
(which is what 'SPARC-Enterprise' means, I think) but not on
anything else.

--
-Peter Tribble