[OpenIndiana-discuss] spool replace says the disk has a different sector alignment

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 19 19:06:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-19 19:29, Francis Swasey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been given a disk array that had to be set up using MegaCLI and each disk is a raid0.  Today, I had to replace a failed disk, and after creating the new Raid0 LD, zpool replace fails with the message:
>
> cannot replace c5t0d0 with c5t0d0: devices have different sector alignment
>
> However, all the MegaCLI and prtvtoc commands tell me that the geometry of the new disk is identical to the old one.
>
> I'm hesitant to reboot, that just seems like way overkill for a simple failed disk - and I'm afraid it might make matters worse.
>
> I'm running OpenIndiana 151a8.   Has anyone seen this error before and have a solution?|

A shot in the sky: try "format", select the disk, enter "type".
It is possible that the old and new disks were auto-detected as
different types (i.e. I had two identical drives, one attached
and formatted in LegacyIDE mode, then another attached as native
SATA, which were recognized as different types with different
cylinder size - 16065 "blocks" vs. 12048 or something like that).
Selecting a disk type same as the existing drive allowed me to
partition the new one identically to the older one and mirror
the rpool. Perhaps this would help you too :)

HTH,
//Jim