[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool replace says the disk has a different sector alignment

Frank Swasey Frank.Swasey at uvm.edu
Wed Nov 20 11:48:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 at 6:57pm, Timothy Coalson wrote:

> Is it possible to reflash the controller to the older firmware that
> reported them as 512?  Not the first thing I'd want to try, but...

Yeah, I'm hopeful that there was something beneficial in that update
besides the pain that I'm now feeling.  (Of course, it would have been a
good thing if I had read the notes about what the update was going to do
first -- but hindsight is usually perfect).

One of my co-workers suggested that since this pool is made up of 4
11-disk RAIDZ2's and we are using less than half the entire pool size -
that perhaps we can shrink the pool and create a new pool to move the
data to, then add the other half into the new pool.  I'm starting to do
more reading, but while it sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure how or
if it would be possible.

> Found one post I half-remembered over on illumos zfs that says the sd
> driver doesn't allow that:
>
> http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182191/entry/19:299/20130326114258:D38D379E-962B-11E2-AF17-BE9C6E434AE2/

Well, that is a real bummer - but I do understand why a programmer would
not want to insert that kind of complexity (not to mention the
performance penalty of a bad implementation) into the sd driver.

Thank you for the help!

Frank