[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool replace says the disk has a different sector alignment

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Nov 20 12:16:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-20 12:48, Frank Swasey wrote:
> One of my co-workers suggested that since this pool is made up of 4
> 11-disk RAIDZ2's and we are using less than half the entire pool size -
> that perhaps we can shrink the pool and create a new pool to move the
> data to, then add the other half into the new pool.  I'm starting to do
> more reading, but while it sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure how or
> if it would be possible.

Unfortunately, no - ZFS does not currently support reduction of
redundancy nor reduction of pool size - pools can only grow.

At most, you might be able to "catastrophically" remove one of
the parity disks from each set - giving you 4 available disks
to make a new pool (and later grow it), but likely you should
not do that (puts your main pool at risk, and will be too small
anyway).

//Jim