[OpenIndiana-discuss] 10GigE vs Infiniband vs SCSI Target ...

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Wed Nov 20 16:32:54 UTC 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 4:35 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) <openindiana at nedharvey.com> wrote:

> I also recently discovered Linux has something called SCST, a driver of sorts, that turns some linux HBA into a scsi target. Does openindiana have something similar?

i think the way the question was phrased about an HBA being a target threw people off.

SCST looks like a implementation of COMSTAR functionality. COMSTAR lets most block level  to be targets over iSCSI, FCoE, iSER (iSCSI over Infiniband), etc.

iSCSI over ether pretty straight forward. There is plenty of Solaris-Solaris documentation available from Oracle. I wrote a blog about Solaris-Windows and Rockwood did one on Solaris-Mac.

The Solaris derived implementation of iSER requires that the switch runs a subnet manager, which are commonly available in Infinniband switches. The Linux implementation allows for a back to back set up without a Infinniband switch.

does that help?

j.