[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bug 1204 zoneadm cannot create clone of zone from snapshot

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Nov 21 00:40:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-13 02:45, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I've hit and fixed this bug (fix works for me), then found it in the
> tracker :)
>
>    Patch attached to the issue
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/1204
> https://www.illumos.org/attachments/1028/ips-clone.patch

Does anyone here, by chance, use solaris10 branded zones?
The patch below (also attached to bug 1204) is expected to enable
cloning of those from the user-specified snapshot as well.
However, I don't have the means to test it currently.
https://www.illumos.org/attachments/1034/sol10-clone.patch

I'd be grateful if someone with a solaris10 zone took a snapshot of
it, tested the following scenario(s), and reported if it works or
fails:

Prepare recursive snapshots for the test:
* zfs snapshot -r pool/zones/sol10origin at SNAPNAME

Clone of the currently active ZBE dataset's named snapshot:
* zoneadm -z sol10clone clone -s SNAPNAME sol10origin
* zoneadm -z sol10clone clone -s @SNAPNAME sol10origin
* zoneadm -z sol10clone clone -s
pool/zones/sol10origin/ROOT/zbe at SNAPNAME sol10origin

Cloning of an old ZBE (not one currently active):
* zoneadm -z sol10clone clone -s pool/zones/sol10origin/ROOT/zbe-5
sol10origin
* zoneadm -z sol10clone clone -s
pool/zones/sol10origin/ROOT/zbe-5 at SNAPNAME sol10origin

Also, the "-X" flag should disable the sys-unconfig steps after the
cloning, so the sol10clone would be identical to sol10origin.

I hope none of the variants error out :)

Thanks and HTH,
//Jim Klimov