[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS approach to "valid users" etc.

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Thu Nov 21 11:08:33 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,

>> * How can I share directories located under users on a per user
>> basis? With Samba, that's a "path = %H/export"...

>I was almost sure this is automatic, but apparently not. The way to
>share homedirs (invisible generally, seen only by the user himself) is:
>
># cat /etc/smbautohome
>*       /export/home/&

well, that's unfortunately not the same. In the autohomes case (which I had
configured fist thing, actually), you'd map /export/home/stefan to share "stefan"
for user stefan. In the "%H/export" case, you'd map /export/home/stefan/export
to share "export" for user "stefan". The point here is to construct shares on a
per user basis as with autohomes but do that more flexible and in addition to
the standard home directory shares.

Regarding the documentation: I have scanned most of what's there by now but I
actually don't find the ACL approach not too intuitive and definitely not halfway
as simple as with the Samba notation "valid users = stefan, jim".

Cheers
 Stefa