[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS approach to "valid users" etc.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Nov 21 15:17:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-21 12:08, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>>> * How can I share directories located under users on a per user
>>> basis? With Samba, that's a "path = %H/export"...
>
>> I was almost sure this is automatic, but apparently not. The way to
>> share homedirs (invisible generally, seen only by the user himself) is:
>>
>> # cat /etc/smbautohome
>> *       /export/home/&
>
> well, that's unfortunately not the same. In the autohomes case (which I had
> configured fist thing, actually), you'd map /export/home/stefan to share "stefan"
> for user stefan. In the "%H/export" case, you'd map /export/home/stefan/export
> to share "export" for user "stefan". The point here is to construct shares on a
> per user basis as with autohomes but do that more flexible and in addition to
> the standard home directory shares.

Read more on automapping globs, I think there were ways to suit setups
with limited directory sizes, like /export/home/A/AN/andre - maybe there
are ways to do what you want. Perhaps, /export/home/&/export would do?

> Regarding the documentation: I have scanned most of what's there by now but I
> actually don't find the ACL approach not too intuitive and definitely not halfway
> as simple as with the Samba notation "valid users = stefan, jim".
Indeed, no. But also it is more flexible since at the filesystem level
you can change the (inherited or end-node) rights to something else
for some aprticular files or directories. Maybe, for writable shares
you can allow "@everyone" and then just enforce filesystem access to
browse/read/write as if those were local accesses i.e. over SSH shells?

//Jim