[OpenIndiana-discuss] Add Gnome to server install

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Nov 22 09:13:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-22 08:05, Rainer Heilke wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 10:20 PM, Milan Jurik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 22.11.2013 08:02, Rainer Heilke wrote:
>>> Greetings.
>>>
>>> After spending most of the day trying to get the OI 151a8 (LiveCD
>>> Desktop) install to boot up with fixed IP addresses, I finally gave
>>> up. The wiki is very outdated, and self-contradictory. So I googled,
>>> and still nothing. And network-admin doesn't run without NWAM enabled.
>>> (This system is a small home running DNS, Mediatomb, and storage
>>> shares.and with NWAM, I have to log in to fire up the network
>>> interfaces.) But it also acts occasionally as one of my desktops. So,

Is it also the router? Or do you have an access point as the
DHCP server? Can you assign a fixed IP address to the OI box's
MAC address on that?

>>> since a fresh install of 151a8 Desktop cannot be made into a server, I
>>> installed the server version.

Well, not technically true - the GUI version includes all the
packages (AFAIK) of the text-only version, they are just
preconfigured differently.

>> if you are using static IP then what is problem to disable nwam, use
>> network:physical and configure IP without automagic?
>
> Simple - it doesn't work. network-admin won't run, and all of the IP
> configuration files disappear on reboot if I do it by hand.

Why would you need that? Open the shell, and
:; pfexec svcadm disable -s physical:nwam
:; pfexec svcadm enable -r physical:default

Also, it is possible that setting static stuff not by old-school
files, but with "ipadm" *may* (I'm not sure) configure the statics
for both NWAM and the default setup. Quoting from my example for
a previously created VNIC, ipadm has to set up the interface as
managed by this mechanism, and assign an IPv4 address:
:; ipadm create-if vnic127001 && \
    ipadm create-addr -T static -alocal=192.168.127.1 vnic127001/v4

>>> The server version, however, is text only (of course). No Gnome. So,
>>> how can I add it?
>>>
>>> Note that DNS seems a bit borked. I can
>>> 'ping 91.194.74.133
>>> I can
>>> 'dig pkg.openindiana.org'
>>> but I cannot
>>> 'ping pkg.openindiana.org'
>>> getting an "unknown host" error. (??) So 'pkg refresh --full' always
>>> fails.
>>>
>>> I suspect this will be the last time I install fresh, rather than
>>> doing an upgrade. :-(
>>>

>> Your nsswitch config is missing dns for hosts and ipnods.
>
> Rats. I thought I replaced nsswitch.conf with nsswitch.dns.Must have
> missed this on my nth time around. Thanks.

It may have also been replaced by automagic if you haven't disabled it.

And look out for ipfilter automagic, unless you replace it with "custom"
method for old-school config with /etc/ipf/* files.

HTH,
//Jim