[OpenIndiana-discuss] Add Gnome to server install

Rainer Heilke rheilke at dragonhearth.com
Fri Nov 22 09:37:43 UTC 2013

To make things clear:

On 11/22/2013 1:13 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-11-22 08:05, Rainer Heilke wrote:
>>
>> On 11/21/2013 10:20 PM, Milan Jurik wrote:
>>> Hi,

> Is it also the router? Or do you have an access point as the
> DHCP server? Can you assign a fixed IP address to the OI box's
> MAC address on that?
The router has nothing to do with it, and setting up a server using DHCP
from a router is just wrong in my book. Besides which, I shouldn't have
to use this type of kludge.

> Well, not technically true - the GUI version includes all the
> packages (AFAIK) of the text-only version, they are just
> preconfigured differently.
Probably ttue, but the static network configuration simply would not
work, despite everything the manual/wiki says.

>>> if you are using static IP then what is problem to disable nwam, use
>>> network:physical and configure IP without automagic?
>>
>> Simple - it doesn't work. network-admin won't run, and all of the IP
>> configuration files disappear on reboot if I do it by hand.
>
> Why would you need that? Open the shell, and
> :; pfexec svcadm disable -s physical:nwam
> :; pfexec svcadm enable -r physical:default
To repeat, this did  *not* work.

> Also, it is possible that setting static stuff not by old-school
> files, but with "ipadm" *may* (I'm not sure) configure the statics
> for both NWAM and the default setup. Quoting from my example for
> a previously created VNIC, ipadm has to set up the interface as
> managed by this mechanism, and assign an IPv4 address:
> :; ipadm create-if vnic127001 && \
>    ipadm create-addr -T static -alocal=192.168.127.1 vnic127001/v4
ipadm constantly gave me the standard error of not being able to do it's
job on a temporary object (I tried e1000g0/v4 , e1000g0/v4static.etc.)

>>> Your nsswitch config is missing dns for hosts and ipnods.
>>
>> Rats. I thought I replaced nsswitch.conf with nsswitch.dns.Must have
>> missed this on my nth time around. Thanks.
>
> It may have also been replaced by automagic if you haven't disabled it.
Perhaps.

> And look out for ipfilter automagic, unless you replace it with "custom"
> method for old-school config with /etc/ipf/* files.
Turned of ipfilter every time (typically not enabled anyway).

> HTH,
> //Jim

Mind the Gap
Web: http://www.dragonhearth.com