[OpenIndiana-discuss] Offtopic question to old SPARC users

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun Nov 24 18:51:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-24 18:34, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> If I read that web site correctly, these NVRAMs are a little over 8
> years old.
> This begs the question; has the shelf life of the included battery
> expired or not??
>
> Internal leakage of these NVRAMs is minute in the disconnected state,
> but, depending on the version, remaining battery shelf life can be
> very short anyway.

The battery will last for 10 yrs if the oscillator STOP bit is unset, i
e the oscillator is running. If the oscillator is stopped, battery life
is its shelf life, and can be expected to be significantly longer. (This
is what I mean by the "disconnected state".) I hope the NVRAMs available
there are in the STOPped state, and the text on the page seems to
suggest that.

> I suggest buying a few, at least.

Buying a few extra to cover for duds seems a good idea. And buying 2 for
each machine you think you must keep running seems a good way to stay safe.

> I can't remember any more, but there might be a way to measure the
> actual in-circuit battery voltage on external pins.

There isn't, generally. There was an earlier NVRAM that actually had a
method of estimating the battery voltage, by looking at the drain
current from Vcc and increasing Vcc.