[OpenIndiana-discuss] Split-root installations

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 26 18:07:39 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-26 17:25, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-11-17 03:50, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>    For years I've mentioned "split-root" installations of Solaris-like
>> systems in such a way that the root filesystem (the BE) is represented
>> by several datasets, such as a split-off /usr dataset. Also there may
>> be some datasets shared between boot environments, such as the sinks
>> for logs and crashdumps, and not all of these are required to live on
>> the rpool at all. There are cases when all such tweaks may be desirable.
>
> WARNING
>
> As discussed in another thread, it was discovered that the SMF methods
> for network/physical (both :default and :nwam) use many programs from
> /usr, and are executed before the /usr filesystem is actually mounted
> in case of a split-root installation. This tanks the NWAM setups, but
> the default ones (based on static files in /etc) succeeds for both DHCP
> and completely static addressing.
>
> I hope to fix this somehow, but a head-on approach failed: the "root"
> filesystem and other FS services depend on svc:/system/identity:node
> (indirectly via svc:/system/metainit:default) and that depends on
> svc:/network/physical... loop and maintenance... Disabling the metainit
> service does not help fix the dependency_cycle condition :\

A similar problem is logged in "iptun" service as well:

# grep 'not found' /etc/svc/volatile/*log
/etc/svc/volatile/network-iptun:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-iptun:
line 81: /usr/bin/cut: not found
/etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical:
line 722: /usr/bin/nawk: not found
/etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[733]:
/usr/bin/sort: not found [No such file or directory]
/etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical:
line 733: cat: not found
/etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[733]:
/usr/bin/nawk: not found [No such file or directory]
/etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[317]:
/usr/bin/cut: not found [No such file or directory]

But it does at least depend on "physical" and if that would be fixed
by revised dependencies (to run when /usr is properly present) - so
should be "iptun".

//Jim