[OpenIndiana-discuss] Split-root installations

Irek Szczesniak iszczesniak at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 18:23:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
> On 2013-11-26 17:25, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-11-17 03:50, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>>
>>>    For years I've mentioned "split-root" installations of Solaris-like
>>> systems in such a way that the root filesystem (the BE) is represented
>>> by several datasets, such as a split-off /usr dataset. Also there may
>>> be some datasets shared between boot environments, such as the sinks
>>> for logs and crashdumps, and not all of these are required to live on
>>> the rpool at all. There are cases when all such tweaks may be desirable.
>>

>> WARNING
>>
>> As discussed in another thread, it was discovered that the SMF methods
>> for network/physical (both :default and :nwam) use many programs from
>> /usr, and are executed before the /usr filesystem is actually mounted
>> in case of a split-root installation. This tanks the NWAM setups, but
>> the default ones (based on static files in /etc) succeeds for both DHCP
>> and completely static addressing.
>>
>> I hope to fix this somehow, but a head-on approach failed: the "root"
>> filesystem and other FS services depend on svc:/system/identity:node
>> (indirectly via svc:/system/metainit:default) and that depends on
>> svc:/network/physical... loop and maintenance... Disabling the metainit
>> service does not help fix the dependency_cycle condition :\
>

> A similar problem is logged in "iptun" service as well:
>
> # grep 'not found' /etc/svc/volatile/*log
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-iptun:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-iptun: line
> 81: /usr/bin/cut: not found
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical:
> line 722: /usr/bin/nawk: not found
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[733]:
> /usr/bin/sort: not found [No such file or directory]
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical:
> line 733: cat: not found
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[733]:
> /usr/bin/nawk: not found [No such file or directory]
> /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log:/lib/svc/method/net-physical[317]:
> /usr/bin/cut: not found [No such file or directory]
>
> But it does at least depend on "physical" and if that would be fixed
> by revised dependencies (to run when /usr is properly present) - so
> should be "iptun".

cut, cat and grep are ksh builtins. Use builtin <cmdname> (run builtin
--man to read details) to enable them by default and then remove the
absolute paths so the shell doesn't search PATH for them.
Most nawk usage can be replaced by ksh pattern matching, leaving
sort(1) as the only command to worry about.

Irek