[OpenIndiana-discuss] (no subject) IP Configuration

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Nov 27 10:08:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-27 08:09, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> I had a few minutes to poke around, and I found the problem (at last!).
> The log never really showed anything, but it finally made me question
> something.
>
> The /etc/hosts file that I've used since 151a1 needed changing. It seems
> rules have tightened up. Quite simply, you can no longer have the
> hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line. This should maybe be clarified on the
> wiki, since it _had_ been allowed until 151a7.

Interesting... though I've never had the loopbacks with meaningful
names anyway.

But let me guess: did your /etc/hostname.e1000g contain for example:

   extname

or

   extname/24

and the /etc/hosts included:

   127.0.0.1 localhost loghost extname

This would indeed not work, because (if the /etc/hostname.* file
does not contain a numeric IP address explicitly), the name for
the interface is matched to the hosts name database to get the IP.

If your hostname file was like above, but hosts contained proper
names:

   127.0.0.1    localhost loghost
   192.168.0.1  extname

...then something strange is indeed going on.

//Jim