[OpenIndiana-discuss] (no subject) IP Configuration

Rainer Heilke rheilke at dragonhearth.com
Wed Nov 27 11:21:02 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 2:08 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-11-27 08:09, Rainer Heilke wrote:
>> I had a few minutes to poke around, and I found the problem (at last!).
>> The log never really showed anything, but it finally made me question
>> something.
>>
>> The /etc/hosts file that I've used since 151a1 needed changing. It seems
>> rules have tightened up. Quite simply, you can no longer have the
>> hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line. This should maybe be clarified on the
>> wiki, since it _had_ been allowed until 151a7.
>
> Interesting... though I've never had the loopbacks with meaningful
> names anyway.
I have for ages (don't know why anymore).

> But let me guess: did your /etc/hostname.e1000g contain for example:
>
>   extname
e1000g0 contained: hastur

> or
>
>   extname/24
>

> and the /etc/hosts included:
>
>   127.0.0.1 localhost loghost extname
Correct.

> This would indeed not work, because (if the /etc/hostname.* file
> does not contain a numeric IP address explicitly), the name for
> the interface is matched to the hosts name database to get the IP.
But something changed, as I'm sure the file was not changed since a7.
That's why I'm wondering if rules tightened up.<shrug>
It now works, and I'm making a note of it in my files.

Rainer

> If your hostname file was like above, but hosts contained proper
> names:
>
>   127.0.0.1    localhost loghost
>   192.168.0.1  extname
>
> ...then something strange is indeed going on.
>
> //Jim

Mind the Gap
Web: http://www.dragonhearth.com