[OpenIndiana-discuss] (no subject) IP Configuration

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Nov 27 11:29:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-27 12:21, Rainer Heilke wrote:
>> and the /etc/hosts included:
>>
>>   127.0.0.1 localhost loghost extname
> Correct.
>>
>> This would indeed not work, because (if the /etc/hostname.* file
>> does not contain a numeric IP address explicitly), the name for
>> the interface is matched to the hosts name database to get the IP.
> But something changed, as I'm sure the file was not changed since a7.
> That's why I'm wondering if rules tightened up.<shrug>
> It now works, and I'm making a note of it in my files.

Not to my knowledge... this (using /etc/hostname's with names from
loopback address) did not work back in solaris 8-9-10 as well ;)

I might only guess that some upgrade wizard or the DHCP magic moved
the hostname string (one which is equal to /etc/nodename contents)
from an IP address to loopback - perhaps because at some moment this
was the only configured IP address bound to an interface on your
system. But this is a very speculative area and I don't want to
go deeper into this :)

At least, I'm pleased that finally something does (explicably)
work on your system the way it should :)

//Jim