[OpenIndiana-discuss] using 151a8 in production

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu Nov 28 01:36:44 UTC 2013

On 13-11-24 11:12 PM, David Thistlethwaite wrote:
> Hello folks
>

> I am a newbie to openindiana.
>
> I am considering using the 151a8 version as a production server, the
> server will perform the following
>

> 1)      Server files via samba and NFS
>
> 2)      Run around 10 virtual machines using virtualbox, these machines
> will be web servers and Microsoft AD and exchange boxes.
>
> 3)      ZFS is a must and I am considering openindiana as it will
> probably have the most stable code base for zfs (as I cannot afford to
> purchase solaris)
>

> The load on this system will be very light but I need a server that will
> be rock solid, as downtime is an serious issue.
>

> I am seeking advice as the release notes state that 152a8 is a
> development release ?

Yes, I use 151a8 + vbox 4.18 in production on two servers which host
several lightly used VMs running Windows / LInux  without issue.   I
will be upgrading another couple shortly.

Just make sure you use solid equipment.  I have standardized on
supermicro motherboards with LSI HBA's and SAS disks.

I use:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/vboxsvc/  to manage the
startup/shutdown.

I use iscsi targets for disks and use the built-in vbox iscsi initiator.

I just built a new server using the kCIFS (kernel mode cifs), tied into
AD and it is working great!!!  The restore from snapshots using previous
versions is awesome.

I think it is a fantastic choice for an all-in-one small business
infrastructure.

Geoff