[OpenIndiana-discuss] Minor Locale issues

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 09:53:54 UTC 2013

jadams at jadlaptop:/usr/share/locale$ cd /usr/lib/locale/
jadams at jadlaptop:/usr/lib/locale$ ls -l | grep -i gb
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     bin            8 Mar 28  2011 en_GB.ISO8859-1
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     bin            8 Mar 28  2011 en_GB.ISO8859-15
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     bin            8 Mar 28  2011 en_GB.UTF-8
jadams at jadlaptop:/usr/lib/locale$ cd /usr/share/locale/
jadams at jadlaptop:/usr/share/locale$ ls -l | grep -i gb
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other          3 May 26  2010 en_GB

keyboard works fine.

hmm ...

my guess is that it is something to do with me picking a bad locale from
the login page ...

jadams at jadlaptop:~$ export LC_ALL=en_GB
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB): No such
file or directory
jadams at jadlaptop:~$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=en_GB
jadams at jadlaptop:~$ export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
jadams at jadlaptop:~$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

I'll have a look and see if it is offering me a bad language.

Jon