[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Fri Oct 11 11:58:54 UTC 2013

On 11/10/13 11:47, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> The problem is that this doea not help you with existing binaries and it would
> be better if gcc would implement the stable studio interfaces instead it's own
> variable interfaces.

Well, a switch is a switch. I've had to think about the issue in
OpenCSW, so I think I'm reasonably aware of the issues involved. For
something like OI which is still evolving and can provide a full switch
in one «pkg update», it's a reasonable switch.

Also, it's not like Studio is perfect in that aspect,
Eg, you can use the defaut Cstd, which is old and crusty, or stlport4,
or Apache stdcxx4, which are more standard-compliant - but binary
incompatible (MySQL 5.6 defaults to stlport4 for the daemon).

Finally, since Oracle seems to be planning to add the G++ ABI into
Studio 12.4 sparc, it appears to be on the verge of becoming the
de-facto standard.
Reality check: having a vastly multiplatform standard is *good*, even if
it was Not Invented Here. And the more people will invest in it, the
less the GCC team will be inclined to change it (remember, it also
annoys Red Hat, and everybody else who has to support a distro for more
than a decade).

Laurent