[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Fri Oct 11 13:15:26 UTC 2013

On 11/10/13 14:02, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> I am not trying to discuss where it came from but whether it will be stable in
> the future.

The last incompatible change was *11 years ago*, and it was a bug fix,
it was not just because they like to break things.

http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#timeline

GCC follows a standard backed by some major names, they don't pull
things out of their hats:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html

Too bad that Sun was not there - but as it happens, some actually good
standards were Not Invented By Sun and yet are useful.

So I believe it's time to please let go the old grudges and accept that
yes, GCC can have a stable standard ABI.

Laurent