[OpenIndiana-discuss] Oracle DB on OI (was: skype on OI)

Michael Hase michael at edition-software.de
Thu Oct 24 16:03:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> On 10/24/2013 19:15, Michael Hase wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> those things made me switch to a mixed environment for two years now: a
>> thin client running linux (sl6) for all desktop related software,
>> everything else running on an openindiana server. linux just can't
>> compete in the storage compartment, nfs service, and the like, But
>> things like skype, firefox, flash, sound, video, libreoffice,
>> openoffice, eclipse, netbeans, etc. have a huge userbase and just work
>> on linux.
>>
>> This split approach works quite well for software development tasks. I
>> really fear the day, when virtualbox or the oracle database server stop
>> working on openindiana.
>>

> Hello.
> It's really interesting to see running Oracle installation on OI. Have you
> tried 12c? Have you tried 11gR2 on /hipster ?

It's 11gR2 running on oi_151a7, no problems so far. Didn't try 12c for
now, but stay tuned. I intentionally didn't update to hipster as there are
so many changes, eg. gcc. There is just no time to fix if something gets
broken. And I have some old binaries from solaris 10, sxce, opensolaris
days, all running ok on oi_151a7.

Michael