[OpenIndiana-discuss] Troubleshooting OpenIndiana network onvSphere 5.5

Chris Murray chrismurray84 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 19:49:49 UTC 2013

> I have had  similar stability problems when using e1000 on my OmniOS/
> napp-it  web appliance under ESXi 5.5 It works either when using the
> VMXnet3 vnic or when adding the following lines to
/kernel/drv/e1000g.conf
> (reboot required)
>
> #Disable TCP segmentation offload
> tx_hcksum_enable=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0;
> lso_enable=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0;

Hi Gea

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't have any luck with adding those
lines, nor with adding "set ip:dohwcksum=0" to /etc/system which was
suggested somewhere.

I did have success removing the e1000 NIC, adding a new vmxnet3 NIC and
installing VMtools, so thank you for that.

During troubleshooting, I did also reinstall vSphere 5.1.0 update 1
(1065491), which corrected the problem with e1000. Another upgrade to
5.5.0 (1331820) caused the problem to return again.

If anyone thinks this warrants some further troubleshooting, I probably
have a couple of spare HP n54l Microservers upon which I could test some
further suggestions? My immediate issue is resolved though, thanks
again.

Chris