[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot upgrade from 148 to 151a8

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:58:27 UTC 2013

On 10/29/13 04:14 PM, John McEntee wrote:
> Ken,
>
> Thank you for the reply, I have already tried the pfexec pkg rebuild-index; pfexec pkg refresh --full ; pfexec pkg image-update -nv This is what gives the errors I am getting.
>
> And fresh install is not a realistic option at the moment, due to their being no easy way to rollback to 148 if it gives more problems than it fixes (or doesn't fix.)
Try updating to specific OI release after 148, par example 151a3 (and
zpool upgrade to version 28, last one before ZFS feature flags and also
zfs upgrade). OI past 151 uses Illumos and 151a4 and newer makes by
default Feature flags enabled datasets).
I used to have updated system from Opensolaris 2009.06, snv_134, OI 148
till OI 151a but can't reproduce steps exactly, except I used to remove
some packages to be able to update.
Before update aether make new BE and reboot to it to have old BE intact
or make a snapshot of old BE,
before updating pkg etc.
Also try to
pkg set-publisher --non-sticky opensolaris.org
if you have it installed as publisher (pkg publisher)

(https://blogs.oracle.com/observatory/entry/updating_to_a_specific_build)
Upgrading to specific release:
pfexec beadm create new-OI
pfexec beadm mount new-OI /mnt
pkg list -af entire
pfexec pkg -R /mnt install pkg:/entire at 0.5.11-0.151.1.3   (or other one,
first one was 151.1)
pfexec bootadm update-archive -R /mnt
pfexec beadm unmount new-OI
pfexec beadm activate new-OI

And after reboot, do
pfexec pkg update -v
to bump to newest /dev (or some other /dev - 151a7 is latest where Flash
player works)

I haven't lately test it but on positive side, if it could be done
before, it could be done again, since older releases packages remain in
IPS publisher like they were before and at a time they were released,
all people used to use them to update.