[OpenIndiana-discuss] New Wiki page for adding a Windows GRUB entry

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 1 16:56:46 UTC 2013

Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gary Mills wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:14:29AM +0200, Bryan N Iotti wrote:
>>>
>>> I have reorganized the content of the page, using Jim's email as an
>>> introduction and moving my page and Jean-Pierre's email to child pages.
>>>
>>> You can see the end result here:
>>> http://wiki.openindiana.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=26543005
>>>
>>> Tell me if you like it or would rather do it differently.
>>
>> You have some old information there. The Solaris fdisk partition
>> type no longer is the same as the Linux swap type. The source for
>> the `fdisk' command contains a table of all partition types, with
>> these two included:
>>
>> "Solaris/Linux swap", /* 130 */
>> "Solaris2", /* 191 */
>>
>> These are 0x82 and 0xbf respectively. The illumos fdisk command
>> selects the second one by default, and will offer to change from
>> the old one to the new one.
>
> What I mentioned in my proposal is a different issue
> which I had earlier (I have not checked whether it can
> still occur).
>
> It has nothing to do with fdisk, but with the installer
> when using a disk already partitioned. The installer
> refused to install on a disk where two Solaris partitions
> were present (one of them being intended for the Linux
> swap, not to be changed to 0xbf).

I have just made a try, and this is also true for oi151a8 :
if you have two partitions with types 0x82 and 0xbf, the
installer refuses to install, displaying "There must be
only one Solaris partition".

Also, to lift the uncertainty mentioned by Jim, you are
allowed to install OpenIndiana on a logical partition.

Jean-Pierre