[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving /var and/or /usr to own zfs filesystem

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Sep 3 20:45:18 UTC 2013

This is somewhat embarassing.

I know this is possible, because I have an oi 151a6 machine running with
/var and /usr as saparate filesystems on the zfs rpool. However I did it I
can't remember and can't find whatever instructions I used, because I'm
trying again on another install and failing.

I started moving just /var. No matter what, it doesn't mount the zfs
filesystems before running filesystem/minimal , so /var isn't mounted and it
fails.   I did the move by booting from install media, importing the rpool,
creating /var.new,   mv /var /var.old , and then change the zfs mountpoint
of /var.new  No dice, on reboot it doesn't mount.

Now, from single user if I "zfs mount -a", clear the error on
filesystem/minimal -- then eveything proceedes nicely.