[OpenIndiana-discuss] Network issue

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Tue Sep 10 09:24:57 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'll have a shot, though it's been a while since I've dealt with NWAM
issues...

On 09/09/13 22:22, axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a strange issue with my network on OpenIndiana: I have network
> access "most of the time", and then suddenly loose it.
> Usually, when I re-issue
> pfexec svcadm restart svc:/network/physical:nwam
> it is back on for some time.
>
> It is not an ISP problem, because other hosts can access Internet during
> that time without any problem.
> My host is not particularly loaded at that time. It is responsive, but
> just fails to get the net.

Do you have examples of the errors you get when failing to connect?
Can you «ping 8.8.8.8» and run snoop at the same time to see what's on
the wire?

> I am using oi_151a7 on a x86 64 bit PC.
> My network card is: PCI Express LAN 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek
> 8111E (rge0)
>
> When I restart the network, I see in dmesg:
>
> Sep  9 22:10:22 cray3 /sbin/dhcpagent[105]: [ID 778557 daemon.warning]
> configure_v4_lease: no IP broadcast specified for rge0, making best guess
>
> => this is strange, because I use static IP address, no DHCP (?!)

The address may be static but attributed by DHCP nonetheless. If you're
sure about the settings, you could disable NWAM and configure the
address manually.

> Sep  9 22:11:56 cray3 nwamd[4563]: [ID 605049 daemon.error] 1:
> nwamd_set_unset_link_properties: dladm_set_linkprop failed: operation
> not supported
> Sep  9 22:11:57 cray3 nwamd[5697]: [ID 605049 daemon.error] 1:
> nwamd_set_unset_link_properties: dladm_set_linkprop failed: operation
> not supported
>
> => I don't know why I have those.

Those are indeed a bit funny.

At this point, the symptoms you describe are not detailed enough to know
what's going on.

Laurent