[OpenIndiana-discuss] funky beginer questions

Lou Picciano LouPicciano at comcast.net
Wed Sep 11 01:06:26 UTC 2013

Harry,

Wish there were one answer… Even before ZFS layout, zpool design brings a lot of factors into play. But to your question on layouts: Among our considerations is the one you're dealing with; 'How granular to get?'

Some features of ZFS help drive our thinking about our architectures: The discrete snapshot capabilities, per ZFS, and the ZFS send/receive capabilities are among those core to our thinking. Taken together, these place right in the thick of the 'Zero Backups' world, with an ability to move filesystems around, as needed, with impunity. So our layouts tend to fall neatly into compartments defined by specific functionality, or for specific clients. There are also some ZFS attributes geared toward Windows FSes; you'll want to check these out.

Using this to develop logic around your compartmentalization may prove useful.

Again, no single answer - experts here will help you develop many! Antony's advice to 'start simple', then build from there, seems a good idea.

Lou Picciano

My advice is to keep it simple - from what you describe, there isn't any
reason I can see to create more than 2 file systems.
One thing you might consider is setting up CrashPlan with your server.
It has a native solaris installation and for $5 a month, you can have all
of your data replicated offsite.
Combine that with ZFS and snapshots, you are looking pretty safe.
Regards,
Antony Brooke-Wood
Mobile: +61 404 460 326